Tuesday, June 15, 2010

San Diego

I just had my big weekend in San Diego. All my training was put to the test. I was a little nervous, but extremely excited! I was also worried about the lack of sleep I had gotten due to the all-night delivery we had with Bella's puppies. We stayed at the Sheraton and this was the view from our window. I was expecting it to be warm out there, but it was overcast and chilly the majority of the time.




The first day we were there we went to the fitness expo to pick up our race packets and visit all the vendors. It was a fitness persons dream! They had clothes, shoes, energy/protein foods and drinks, watches, sunglasses; anything and everything to do with running or fitness. Here's Theresa and I taking advantage of some photo ops.




Saturday was our inspirational dinner. We had pasta to load up on carbs before the big run. It was just an overview of what Team In Training had accomplished and a couple inspirational speakers. Basically a pep rally for our weekend. I think they said this weekend alone TNT raised over 12 million dollars!!




It was an early night so we could prepare our gear and wake up early for the shuttle. We had to be ready at 4am!! Here is Theresa, Stefanie, and I waiting to get on the bus.


I don't know if you can tell, but this is the line to the johnny's. For anyone that knows me well, you know I don't do toilets that don't flush or that move. I'm disappointed to say that I had no choice in the matter and had to brave the accommodations. Getting up 3 hours before the race and loading up on fluids, I just couldn't hold it any longer.




This was the starting line. Look at all the people!!! I think they said there were over 40,000 runners. We were released by coral numbers and I was in #36, so I actually didn't start running until 45 minutes after the race began.




There were so many people lining the streets cheering us on. Team In Training actually had their own set of cheerleaders. These guys were hilarious!




With so many runners it was fun to pass the time by just people watching. People were dressed in tu-tu's, Elvis costumes, etc. In my pack there were 2 guys in batman underwear carrying guitars filled with Gatorade. They got a lot of attention along the way.




The one thing I did not like about the course is that we spent a lot of time on the interstate and interstate ramps. We were running at an angle and it just wasn't fun.




Since this was a Rock-N-Roll Marathon there were bands along the way to keep us entertained with good music. There were also plenty of water stops, johnny's, and medical staff to help with any injuries along the way. I saw some people opt out from using the Johnny and found trees, people were off to the side stretching, crying, puking. Like I said there were so many things to look at the time went by pretty fast.




I'm finally at the finish line!! I did fine until between mile 11 and 12 and I started to struggle. The last mile was the longest mile of my life!! At times it may have been more of a shuffle than a run, but I still finished without stopping. That was my goal. The finish line was packed with people cheering you in. It was awesome. Once we crossed they handed us our medal, took a picture, and loaded us up with cold wet towels, water, and food. I took a long walk afterwards to help walk off the soreness. It sure helped.




After the race we went to the victory celebration for Team In Training. They had food, music, and a cash bar!! It was so funny to watch everyone limp and waddle to the bar. Alcohol= the best pain killer! I was definitely waddling.......I can tell I'm getting older. My body doesn't recover as well as it did when I was 20! We didn't stay long there and headed to the Gaslamp district. We spent a lot of time here between events walking around, shopping, and eating. Again, you could definitely tell who participated in the marathon with all the waddling, moaning, and groaning around town.




The last day we needed to kill some time before our flight, so we went to the world famous San Diego Zoo. Our tickets came with a bus tour so we took advantage of that right away.








Final Thoughts: I would definitely do a half-marathon again. It is something I have always wanted to do and nothing is more satisfying than crossing the finish line and knowing you accomplished something great. I need to have better training with longer runs, however. Team In Training was great to start with, but the farthest we ran was 10 miles and the marathoners only ran 20. That's 3 and 6 miles further!! That's a lot when you're already tired! There were 2 people from our team that ended up needing medical attention because of dehydration and exhaustion. I want to be able to run 13.1 miles strong and not feel like I have to shuffle to cross the finish line. I met some new people and really had a good time with the organization. They really do great things for people affected by blood cancers. The hardest part of the experience was the fundraising. I am so grateful for those that helped me reach my goal. People really surprise you when it comes to fundraising. There were people I didn't expect to donate that did which was awesome, and there were some I thought for sure they would donate that didn't and it was very disappointing. I understand if they don't support the cause, but I was hoping people would donate in support of ME! I thought $2900 was a little steep and I know a few people who had to put in a lot of money to make the goal. I learned a lot about what to eat, what type of clothing to wear, and nutritional supplements to keep you going along the way. I would love to keep training and since I am now considered alumni I can still train with the team on Saturdays.

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

Good job Erica! I still can not fathom running that far :)

Walleta said...

Great job. Its has been following you on this journey. Congrats. Walleta Bergsten

Allison said...

Congratulations, Erica! That is such a great accomplishment and you should be very proud. I'm glad you had a good trip and got take in some of San Diego. Love all the pictures.